Monday, October 8, 2012

In Which I Avoid Living The News Story

You may have read about California's sky-high gas prices in recent days. Crescent City always has higher-than-state-average prices, but over the weekend at least one gas station in town posted a $4.89 price tag for regular unleaded. It was just a little bit crazy and I actually had to pay for a few gallons in Arcata at $4.79/gallon. Not fun.

So today, being that the truck and both gas cans were empty, I did what sensible people living on the border do: I drove half an hour to Brookings, OR, where I paid $3.96 for each of my 23 gallons. And like my days growing up on the New York/New Jersey border, in Oregon, it's illegal to pump your own gas. Double bonus: I saved almost 20 dollars (and, yes, I did use gas getting there, but there are three other staples that I buy for much less in Oregon than California; I've done the math and it is worth the drive) and I didn't have to pump the gas.

And that's how I avoided becoming part of the CA gas price woes today. Thrilling blog post, right? If you were in Crescent City, you could get your thrills from the non-stop thunder we're having. Most of you aren't, however, so you'll have to find your thrills elsewhere tonight.

No comments: