Tonight, as a belated anniversary celebration, Michael and I went to the Historic Requa Inn for dinner. We enjoyed a four course meal of mostly-local delights that included a little wild rice dumpling to start and an almond/brown butter cake with blackberry juice to finish. In between there were some beautiful beets with flash-fried fennel tops, potatoes mashed with olive oil, roasted mushrooms, and other deliciousness. Thanks to chefs Paul and Thomas for a wonderful meal!
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Darcy was with a once-in-a-blue moon babysitter, Beth. We're just two days away from an early birthday party for Darcy and she is starting to fixate on it. Before we went to dinner, Darcy insisted that we put together the goodie bags. Then she made a guest list complete with symbolic codes for how likely she thought it was that each of those people would come to the party. When we got home from dinner, Beth said that Darcy had expressed some serious concerns about how her cake would get made. Perhaps I am running out of time, she worried. She also made an excellent list of how she views the party events:
Be warned, children, there are apparently two outdoor lectures as part of this party!
Apropos of nothing, I'll end with a picture of Darcy at the Chocolate Exhibit we caught at Turtle Bay Museum in Redding a few weeks ago:
3 comments:
Babysitters? I didn't know you all went in for such new-fangled devices... next time I come visit for 36 hours, I offer my services. Just bring me a doggie bag of flash fried fennel...
Darcy dares underestimate her amazing mother! Has she learned nothing?
We don't do babysitters often, Auntie Best, and if you babysit, then we lose some of the 36 hours with you. It was birthday cake, Gretel, one can never be too careful about birthday cake.
Post a Comment