Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Trees Of Mystery

So there's a slightly (?) cheesy tourist attraction just south of Crescent City called Trees of Mystery. There are good parts of it, but there's also a giant Babe the Blue Ox (anatomically correct) in front. I find it an odd place to go see redwoods, though, because there's beautiful old growth forest nearby, so I don't understand going to see named, not terribly old redwoods instead. But that's just me, and Trees of Mystery is a venerable institution.

The real trees of mystery are the redwoods themselves. I always appreciate them when I get to drive through them (as I may tomorrow). They are overwhelmingly ancient and wild and beautiful on an ordinary day. But then there are days when the sun and fog play together particularly well and people are able to get photos like this:


Michael was in the redwoods for such a day today. Pretty good for an iPhone, once again.

2 comments:

Auntie Best said...

I think god might be hiding behind that tree.

Angela said...

It seems possible, doesn't it? Either that or the whole Hudson Valley school of painters.