Friday, November 9, 2012

If I Was Single In Another Era...

There are many jobs in our modern era that are much easier to imagine having if you were childless and preferably single, so you didn't have to worry about the amount of time you were spending at your job.

I think in previous eras, there might have been even more of those sorts of jobs and if I were choosing one of them, I would choose working on this mobile post office. This is one of the cars we got to tour at the Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton. It's a car that was leased to (or by? I don't remember the exact relationship) the railroad, but it's a fully self-contained post office. It is amazing, but I get the feeling that the postal workers pretty much lived their whole lives on the train. Not good for maintaining relationships.

What do you say, Auntie Best? In the days before airplanes would have let you teach yoga around the world, would you have joined me on this post office car?

4 comments:

Gretel said...

Probably the age of child labor. Bring the family along!

Auntie Best said...

Do you really need to ask ? Seriously, "by train" is my favorite way to travel and "in a post office" is my favorite place to be, so really, this just looks like heaven on earth to me. Is there space to roll out my mat? Because I think I can see a mash-up...

Amber R. said...

I LOVE Steamtown!

Angela said...

Gretel, you're probably right! Best, I didn't really NEED to ask, but I thought it would be polite. Amber, we enjoyed it, but will have to go back when we have time to ride one of the trains.