Saturday, August 29, 2009

Pearls Of Wisdom From Darcy Jo

Last night after dinner it had cooled down enough to be pleasant outside, so we went out to play, water the garden, bring in the last of the laundry from the line, and watch the moon rise. Darcy, despite her love of almost all green vegetables, has been resisting trying any of the cherry tomatoes from the garden. I picked two last night and offered her one, which she took, but "just to hold it". I ate the other and told her how sweet it was, kind of like candy. So she popped hers in her mouth, bit down, acted like it was instant death, spit it into my hand, and proclaimed with a wobbly bottom lip:

"That is very different from M&Ms."

She speaks the truth, but I'd prefer she liked the tomato and wasn't so fond of M&Ms.

Darcy running across the meadow on Mt. Charleston.

For those of you who do not know more about the Wright Brothers than you ever wanted to know, the well near their original bicycle shop was contaminated with typhoid in 1896 and Orv got sick and almost died. Wilbur nursed him through it and read books about flying pretty much non-stop. This morning, Darcy asked for a cup to give one of her elephants a drink. She specified that she wanted one without typhoid in it, which I thought was a good decision. Unfortunately, she then put a ball in it to represent typhoid and drank it herself. This led to her being all bundled up in blankets on the couch while I read to her, just like Wilbur did. Right now, she's typhoid-free. I suggest you all try to stay the same.

Darcy and Michael on the log that was Darcy's goal in the first picture.

On Thursday, while it was 107 in the Las Vegas valley (and we "enjoyed" some play time at a park in that heat), it was a cool and lovely 72 at the meadow on Mt. Charleston. It's amazing that a half-hour drive can bring that kind of change, but we were very grateful for it and had a lot of fun playing in the meadow and hiking through the trees. Darcy played a wonderful game in which she would dive off a tall stump into our arms; I'd put up the video, but she got a little reckless as the game progressed and it might make us look like Very Bad Parents.

Darcy and Angela at the other end of that log.

No comments: