Please forgive the lack of photos; I didn't think to grab the camera for our temporary residence in Baker. I probably should have, given our activities last night.
I was on the phone with Amy, planning the menu for a fungus conference we're going to cater for in October. I mentioned that we were thinking of checking out the Baker Community Pool in the evening. Pool? Did somebody say pool? A little over an hour later, Amy and family were at our door, ready to swim. Michael had to work late, unfortunately, but the rest of us headed over to the pool, which lives across from the high school and share its parking lot.
There were more people working there than swimming, but for a buck each per adult, it was hard to beat the surprising cool water, diving board, and very shallow end that Darcy could stand up in. We swam, dove, and splashed for a while and then headed back to Baker House for a big veggie dinner and some dancing to the I Like Yaks song.
Two future social events are coming out of this as well. On Wednesday, with the other adult residents of the Granites away, we're going to watch a kids movie projected onto the side of a building. Movie still to be determined, but there will be lots of popcorn. On Saturday, I might go with Amy and Matthew when they head to Vegas to contradance. Yes, you read that right -- there is contradancing in Las Vegas! Woo-hooo! Who would have thought it possible?? If this Saturday doesn't work out, I'll probably try another week, as it's a twice-a-month dance. I miss contradancing.
In other news, I've finished Wuthering Heights and didn't love it. I didn't even like it, except for the last four or five chapters. Bleah. I've started The Color Purple. I know I saw the movie a long time ago, but I don't remember all that much of it, so the novel still has the capacity to surprise me and I'm not constantly comparing it to the film because I just don't have a clear picture of that. I like it. There are actually many miserable characters (either in misery or handing it out), as there were in Wuthering Heights, but it feels that there is hope for better (within the characters, not just in the narrative) in The Color Purple and that was absent in most of Wuthering Heights.
2 comments:
what happened to your water....and is contra dancing the same as square dancing?
Our water comes from six miles away by gravity-fed pipe and there was a major leak near the source, so they had it turned off for five days for repairs. Contra dancing is similar to square dancing in that it shares a lot of the patterns, but you dance in pairs in long lines with alternating couple heading "up" or "down" the line.
Post a Comment