Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day Weekend!

In honor of Mother's Day, here's the earliest picture I have of me and my mom, Kathy. And in honor of the great weekend I had with the small beast who brings me mother-status, I'll add some pictures of Darcy at play in Fort Humboldt.

Fort Humboldt is in Eureka and was the site of, you guessed it, a fort! Not-yet President Grant served as quartermaster, which gives it an extra claim to fame. For the second year in a row, Michael spent three days at the fort playing "town ball", an old-timey version of baseball. It requires you to hit a player with the ball to get them out. Michael got Darcy out a couple times.


The surgeon gave a demonstration of field medical techniques.

Surprise! They wanted a very small patient to carry around in the stretcher and Darcy was perfectly happy to play the part. For long after they put her down.

Ah, town ball! Two batters, one pitcher, and a very short pitching distance. Maybe not always, but that's how our girl plays it -- and she got a hit! You can just barely see the ball coming off the bat.

Darcy played in the grass and rolled down hills after her last round of town ball while we were waiting for Michael to change back into modern clothes. She was a very happy and smile-filled girl.

2 comments:

Auntie Best said...

Old timey baseball looks scarier than regular timey basketball. It's been years since I've seen a regular-timey baseball player carried off the field on a stretcher...

Angela said...

I'm not entirely sure of the order of events. But I see your point. Michael got a ball right at Darcy's nose to get her out once.