If I announce it, I will do it. Right? Isn't that the theory behind setting a date for a major life change, like stopping smoking? [I don't smoke and haven't ever smoked -- it's just an example.]
So I am announcing my grand, illustrated plans to get rid of some stuff that I have strong emotional attachments to. I feel like I've been working on getting rid of stuff for a long time. We have too much of it. We don't need it. I don't want to keep hauling it around, figuring out where to store it, and making sure it doesn't get "ruined". I'm culling books yet again. I'm going to start going through boxes from the garage one at a time and making real decisions about why I have all that stuff and what I'm going to do with it.
And I'm starting with some big-deal (to me) things: my ridiculously-large collection of reusable shopping bags and a few key pieces of clothing that I just have not been able to bring myself to part with. My solution? You, my dear readers (read: friends and family who put up with my ramblings in order to get your fix of cute Darcy pictures), will be treated to photos of my bags and clothes, with brief histories of why I'm having so much trouble parting with them. I will then get rid of them, leaving a permanent(ish) legacy of words and images. I'm only sorry that I didn't think of this in time to post pictures of my three Ashokan staff sweatshirts from the late 80s and early 90s. I got rid of those a couple months ago, so you'll have to picture them in your minds: three forest green sweatshirts with the bottom, wrist, and neck "cuffs" cut off. White letters and logos for the Ashokan Field Campus, and the years of my repeated service.
I know...you're sorry I didn't think of this in time for them, too. Admit it.
3 comments:
I am sorry you didn't think of it in time. I have fond memories of your Ashokan tenure, too. (Can I use my lack of a blog as an excuse to not follow your lead? Or my desire to be rid of stuff as a prod to create a blog?)
I received some great advice about parting with things as I too am trying to get rid of... stuff like my high school formal dresses!???! Anyways, for things like gifts you have received that you just don't want anymore or feel you NEED to keep because someone special gave it to you...I was told to remember that the love came from the person who gave you the gift, not the gift itself. You could relate this idea to perhaps some of your stuff. It is working for me. Doesn't make it easy, but it still helps. Also like you mentioned, taking pictures of things is a great idea. The memory will be there in your mind but now you can still see it via picture! Takes up way less space and you can visit periodically.
Hee! The posts start tonight! Ev, I think you'll see a couple things you recognize.
Juliana, I'm all set. There are fewer and fewer things I'm really attached to these days.
Post a Comment