Sunday, December 6, 2009

Ah! Christmas And Nostalgia!

So Darcy has been all about Christmas recently. Not because of all the Christmas decorations popping up, but because we borrowed Olivia Helps With Christmas from the library again and this time, she recognized that Christmas is coming (she saw the fat goose). I had to create a countdown on our calendar so she could visualize how many days until Christmas and I could stop explaining that Santa was not coming tonight.

Whenever we see Christmas decorations or Christmas stuff in stores now, she says, "I see Olivia things!" At the Family Resource Center last week, one of the employees was doing some decorating and had an extra string of lights lying on the floor. Darcy picked them up, wrapped them around herself, and said, "Look! I'm helping with Christmas! Mooommmmmyyyy!" Because that's what Olivia does. You know.

I've recently been trying to record the classic Christmas specials along with the Christmas versions of her favorite shows (I missed a Sesame Street Christmas today -- too bad). So tonight, we recreated one of my childhood memories. We watched two Christmas specials while eating popcorn, hot cocoa, peanut butter toast, and sliced apples. The fire (well, pellet stove) was roaring, we laid down a quilt, and we all had fun.

In my childhood version, my sister and I were watching The Wonderful World of Disney and we were required to be in PJs before the watching and eating started. In Darcy's version, she was naked from the time she got up from her nap until the time she got ready for bed. Why? I have no idea, but she was very, very insistent. It turns out that Darcy is also the world's biggest popcorn fan and on the second pot I popped, Michael and I were done with it and she sat on the quilt on the couch, naked, with a big mixing bowl of popcorn resting on her lap. That child had a distended belly by the end of Rudolph.

But she had a great time and so did we, so it's all good.

No comments: