Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Whales! Sunshine! Picnic!

I know that Crescent City is supposed to be all cold and grey and foggy and wet, but there are exceptions and the last three days have been quite delicious and sunny. Today, we started out our sunshine appreciation with a trip to the playground. A family showed up about fifteen minutes later with take out sandwiches. Darcy, ever the shy girl, went up to them and announced that she wanted to have a picnic with them. I took the hint, went home and made sandwiches, and we took them to an overlook a mile or so from the house to have our picnic.

It was a very beautiful spot with great views of the ocean and the "sea stacks", small rocky outcrops just off shore. There are quite a few flowers blooming and lots of birds flitting about, so it was a great place for a picnic. But it had another draw for us: Whales!

Whales migrate past Crescent City every year and Michael's boss reported that he'd seen some on Sunday. Darcy and I tried to find some yesterday, but had no luck. Today, however, we (or at least I; I'm not entirely sure Darcy really saw the spouts) saw several or many whales, depending on how many spouts belonged to individual whales. (You might want to click on this picture to really see the two water spouts in the center of the photo.)

Many thanks go to our friend Missy in King Salmon for sending our girl the most girly thing she owns. Yesterday, we got a package that had this be-flowered tutu and wings outfit. Darcy enjoyed dancing around in it and then stripped down to just the leotard until bed time.

3 comments:

juliloquy said...

Hey wow - you guys had just moved to Mojave when we met in DC. You must be exhausted! But looks like some great surroundings. Enjoy!

SJH said...

Sounded like a great day! How much do I love that fairy outfit??? A LOT!!!!

Anonymous said...

SOOOO adorable!!!!! I hope Ryan and I have a girl so they can have girly moments like this together!!
Happy Birthday Darcy the fairy princess
Carly